Children's Specialty Center
Kapi'olani Children's Specialty Center offers comprehensive medical care for children and young adults with complex medical problems ranging from developmental and behavioral difficulties to neurological disorders.
Many young people have medical conditions requiring special care. The Center was developed to meet their needs and to assist families in caring for them. Kapi'olani Children's Specialty Center is staffed by a highly specialized team of medical professionals, each experienced in treating your child's condition.
With the help of our specialty team, we offer the following clinics:
- Adolescent - Management and treatment of teen problems, such as eating disorders, substance abuse, and adjustment difficulties.
- Allergy - Diagnosis and treatment of allergies. Services include complete histories and physicals, evaluation of patients with eczema, asthma, headaches and patients who have been treated with medications without improvement.
- Behavioral Development - Diagnosis of behavioral and development difficulties due to physical or mental problems, and counseling for the individual and family to help them manage and cope. The clinic also provides coordination of care, particularly early intervention, special education, and mental health. Conditions include ADHD, autism spectrum disorders, school failure, cerebral palsy, head injuries, and behavioral problems.
- Cleft and Craniofacial Center - Interventions and coordination of care for cleft lip and palate.
- Immunology - Team approach to provide a continuum of care for children and adolescents with HIV and other immune deficiencies. Early detection can prevent frequent illness and hospitalization. Possible exposures include maternal HIV or accident/injury exposure.
- Kawasaki - Diagnosis, treatment and management for patients diagnosed with Kawasaki Syndrome, a rare illness that typically affects young children under the age of 5. Kawasaki can trigger inflammation in many different parts of the body, including the heart.
- Lupus - An autoimmune disease which affects different parts of the body, with mild to extremely serious symptoms.
Kapi'olani takes a multi-disciplinary approach to the management of childhood Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Specialists in pediatric rheumatology and pediatric nephrology work together to care for these children to prevent potential kidney damage.
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) Follow Up - Highly specialized care for newborns up to three months, providing medical management, care coordination, and developmental assessments for newborns discharged from the NICU.
- Neurodevelopmental Clinic - Diagnosis of behavioral and developmental difficulties.
- Pediatric Rheumatology - Diagnosis, treatment and management of disorders, such as pediatric arthritis, acute rheumatic fever, fibromyalgia, musculoskeletal complaints and other rheumatic diseases.
- Retinopathy of Prematurity - An Ophthalmology Clinic for premature babies to prevent and treat Retinopathy of Prematurity.
- Weight Management- A comprehensive approach to adolescent Weight Management.
For more information, call (808) 983-8394 or send an e-mail.